Have you ever found yourself in a conversation that you didn’t know you were having, such as addressing an issue, and you felt completely ill-prepared for it?
Today’s episode is about getting clear on the type of conversation you’re having so that you can adequately prepare for it.
What conversation am I having?
Once you have the answer to the above question, then you can ask yourself this: How do I need to prepare for this?
Book Recommendation: Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and In Life One Conversation at a Time by Susan Scott. Purchase here on our Amazon Affiliate Link.
- Name the issue.
- Name the effect.
- Provide examples that illustrate the behaviour.
- Clarify what’s at stake if the issue continues.
- Own your contribution to this issue.
- State your hope.
- Turn the conversation over to the other person.
- After carefully listening, decide together how you are best going to move forward and how will we hold each other accountable.